Diaspora Engagement Officer
Nomad Innovation Lab (NomadiLab) is an organization with the mission to create systems and environments where the lives of many can be impacted, where individuals can find empowerment and transformation can occur through technology, innovation, training and economic opportunities.
NomadiLab (nomadilab.org) has partnered with SPIDER Center (spidercenter.org) to implement the program Health Alliance for Digital Development and Action (HADDA) in Somalia (digitalsomalia.org). The program is funded by Sweden to support Somalia’s Federal Ministry of Health to drive the national Health Information Management System to become unified and interoperable. The HADDA program focuses on national leadership on Digital Health and partners with expertise to strengthen institutions, support health systems, skill health workers, and deliver quality care to maternal and child health clinics in selected clinics.
|Organization||Nomad Innovation Lab|
|Title||Diaspora Engagement Officer|
|Duty Station||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Expected starting date||1 January 2023|
|Expected duration||12 months – Full time assignment|
Nomadilab is looking to recruit an enthusiastic and motivated professional to fill the role of Diaspora Engagement Officer for the Digital Health programme in Somalia ‘HADDA’. The ideal candidate is determined to channel and connect diaspora resources between Sweden and Somalia as well as Europe and elsewhere. A professional who can effectively communicate with diverse audiences, is meticulous with attention to detail , and works collaboratively with the NomadiLab team and external stakeholders.
This position is based in Stockholm. The successful candidate will uphold Nomadilab’s core values, promote the mission and vision, program principles (transparency, gender equality, and diversity) to enhance the health programme.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Develop, facilitate and manage the relationship with the Somali Diaspora in all its forms primarily in Sweden and Scandinavia, but also Europe, and globally.
- Coordinate with NomadiLab Sweden and Somalia to link with Diaspora organisations and Somali agencies with specific expertise.
- Create Diaspora engagement opportunities and seek partnerships that align with HADDA objectives.
- Organise and facilitate diaspora activities, workshops, events and represent HADDA at meetings and events.
- Ensure timely implementation as per agreed work plans and budget, in compliance with NomadiLab and SPIDER standards and in coordination with Project Manager.
- Support to build and deliver a highly visible and effective public communication strategy, which promotes the Somali-Swedish diaspora and highlights contributions by Somali diaspora regionally.
- Using existing and new communication channels, find innovative ways to engage the Diaspora in contributing to the achievement of SDG3 in Somalia.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience acquired in Communications, International Relations or other relevant field of study.
- A minimum of 5 years’ office experience in a fast-paced working environment.
- Experience in dealing with logistics, administration and budgets.
- Strong organisational skills and good attention to detail.
- Ability to build effective relationships with external organisations.
- Good understanding of the intersection of human centered technology and community engagement.
- Able to work and deliver under minimal supervision.
We believe the ideal candidate will:
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and be transparent and diplomatic.
- Be solutions-oriented with focus on achieving results.
- Bring positivity and creativity to the project and the project team.
- Have excellent communication skills and cultural awareness to adapt to different settings.
- Already have built great networks through advocacy or community engagement in the Somali diaspora in Sweden and/or Europe.
- Respect diversity and embrace varying perspectives.
- Fluency in written and verbal English, Swedish and Somali is required
- Contract length: 12 months renewable depending on performance and availability of funding.
- Designation of Duty Stations: Stockholm, Sweden with some travel within Sweden and potentially in Europe and Africa
- Start date: As soon as possible.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Nomadilab’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
Nomadilab strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
How to apply
If you think you meet the job specification, please send your CVs/Resume and motivation letter (specifying your achievements and why you think you are the right person for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15th March 2023. Please put Diaspora Engagement Officer in the subject line of your email. Because of the urgency of this position, we will review the applications regularly as we receive applications. Unfortunately, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Women and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.